Two days later and it’s done!
Wicked Words Quarterly is open for business (well submissions anyway) and hoping to get the first edition out by June 2014.
Here is the front page blurb:
Wicked Words is a new quarterly magazine on the Kindle that will publish short stories and flash fiction.
Wicked Words will publish science fiction, fantasy and horror themes and we are looking for high-quality stories that surprise the reader and play with the genres.
So if you have stories that fit these criteria why not submit them to be considered.
If you like reading short stories in this genre why not sign up to the newsletter where you will be kept up to date on how the project is progressing.
Wicked Words first edition is scheduled to be published at the start of June and then quarterly after that (September, December and March).
Each Winter Edition will also include a previously unpublished Novella alongside the usual flash fiction and short stories.
So if you know anyone with stories that would fit the criteria why not send them over my way 🙂
One of the projects I wanted to develop when I bought this domain was to produce a quarterly magazine for Science Fiction, Horror and Fantasy shorts, especially those with a twist to the tale. I will mainly be concentrating on Flash Fiction but will sometimes delve into Novelettes as well.
This project was going to be a long term project, gradually developing as I developed my own writing and knowledge. It was not to be a place for my own writing but a place to publish others writing.
Recently I’ve felt that this project could be pushed forward quite quickly and to that end the main site – www.wickedwords.co.uk will become the base for this Quarterly Magazine and thesearemywickedwords.wordpress.com will be where my own writing will be based.
Work will be remunerated at a semi-pro level so I won’t be asking anyone to give something for nothing and initially this will all be from my own pocket but hopefully I will be able to get it self-funding soon enough.
The Wicked Words main site will also be where my Web Presence business will be based from now on.
I’m working in the background right now to update the main site to reflect these changes in direction so look forward to seeing these very soon (Mid to Late March), but until then I will still be writing as much as I can.
Prompt: One of the books in the library glows
A glimmer, a glamour, that’s what it was.
Sparkling words, spiralling worlds.
Both equally fascinating, both equally dangerous.
A crack, just a quick peek, curiosity and the cat be damned.
Silvered edges, golden letters, honeyed words.
Seductive siren call, a bargain from beyond.
Knowledge, insight, offerings from within, worth it?
From the page, looking out, I see you do the same.
Bargains and whispered words, part of the chorus, singing to you.
Inside the book we are all stories waiting to consume the stories of others, two in one out.
Leather and ink, glamour and geas, your life as written.
Have just found a source of some fiction prompts which was what I was looking for 🙂 Will start working through these to give me some ideas for short stories and flash fiction.
I will add more fiction prompts as I find them or think of them for anyone to use 🙂
I found this bunch at Eric J. Krause’s Writing Spot
- The moon looks big in the sky. A little too big.
- A minor cut won’t stop bleeding.
- Something is scratching the inside of your closet door.
- Your life is on your phone, but you just dropped it into a pit of deadly vipers.
- Your mouthwash is actually a magic potion.
- You awaken to find yourself locked in a casket.
- You trade lives with your cat for a day.
- The new USB drive you bought came preloaded with a strange secret.
- Everytime you enter your house, you hear the faint sound of children laughing. You have no children, and none live on your street.
- Your rich uncle give you the supernatural secret to his fortune.
- You interact with a ghost that doesn’t know it’s dead.
- Your new running shoes have a special feature which allows you to run further and faster, but it comes with a unique price.
- A strange new social movement was actually started by space aliens (or time travelers).
- One of the books in the library glows.
- A mummy’s curse falls over an entire town.
- Your fingernails fall out, but are replaced by retractable claws.
- An app store lets you download magic spells.
- Those toy laser guns at the amusement park souvenir stand aren’t toys.
- Your imagination runs wild – everything you imagine comes true.
- Your parents reveal a dark family secret.
- Unbeknownst to you, an alien has been visiting you in your sleep for years.
- A favorite piece of jewelry is more than it seems.
- Your favorite childhood storybook comes to life.
- What in the world is that in your stocking?
- Santa has a terrible secret that may ruin Christmas.
- A newborn child can converse in perfect English.
- The Mayans were right…sort of.
- The airline didn’t lose your luggage — they changed it into something different.
- A new app for your phone bends the laws of physics.
- A patch of quicksand leads to another world.
- The fireplace leads to a wonderland, but only when it’s lit.
- An alien society seizes control of your tablet computer.
- A new app lets you copy your soul and download it into different things.
- Your pen contains magic ink.
- A tiny planet declares independence from the intergalactic empire.
- The heat and humidity begin to melt people. Literally.
- Days begin to run backwards.
- Terrorists create an app that instantly kills anyone who downloads it.
- The scent of a certain rose does strange things to people’s minds.
- Space aliens built the pyramids.
- Ancient Atlantis is discovered, and it is a thriving society.
- A Twitter follower follows you in real life.
- The Post Office demands more than just a mere stamp to deliver your letter.
- If a top-secret government computer is shut down, the entire universe is shut down.
- There’s intelligence in that stray dog’s eyes. Too much intelligence.
- Your iPod plays a strange song you didn’t load onto it.
- You turn on the shower and blood pours out of the faucet.
- You awaken into the world of your favorite novel.
- There’s a new app available that lets you control minds.
- A tiny dragon, no bigger than a hummingbird, befriends you.
- The newest gym craze is exploding exercise bikes: stop peddling and BOOM!
- A new bottled water on the market doesn’t exactly contain water.
- The light from a sun in a distant solar system has strange effects on a crew of astronauts.
- A rabbit-eared television set can control time and space.
- A radical environmental group starts assassinating smokers.
- Is that Santa climbing down your chimney…or something else entirely?
- Your favorite stuffed animal comes to life.
- A tiny spacecraft crashes through your bedroom window.
- Gnomes follow you home.
- A buzzard circles above you.
- Space aliens knock on your front door.
- Your dog strikes up a conversation with you.
- An Internet virus affects your computer in a strange way.
- You hear a nearby train whistle. There are no railroad tracks anywhere close.
- The court jester has a sinister gleam in his eyes.
- You’re alone, but there are footsteps in the hall.
- You find a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.
- The local zoo displays a real unicorn.
- There is a monster inside your mattress.
- A dragon is spotted flying over a distant farm.
- A shooting star just changed directions.
- Your favorite video game is actually a training manual for death.
“Head to your favourite online news source. Pick an article with a headline that grabs you. Now, write a short story based on the article.”
A long line, snaking along the corridor, and in it Karim was waiting for his turn.
The soldiers were making sure that there was order in the line, Karim knew that nothing untoward would happen here.
They had been waiting for this moment for a long time now, ever since Mohamed Morsi was overthrown by the military.
The line shuffled forward as another person at the front was processed through.
Karim knew that it would be his turn soon as there was only two more in front of him.
Another was processed, this seemed to be getting quicker as the couple at the desk seemed to get used to what they were doing.
It was now Karim’s turn, he knew that the jailers would make his time here difficult for protesting at the military coup and the changes to the society that he and his brotherhood had fought for.
It was now another person’s turn as he was walked through to the cells. It was now another turn at the chance of a non-military government in Egypt, one he would not be part of.